Furniture effects on your skin

Furniture effects on your skin

Indeed, furniture adds beauty and elegance to our homes, yet, they have harmful effect on our skin. This is because there are certain materials used in the protection and preservation of furniture that are toxic and can cause skin allergies. Here are a few:

VINYL

If you own outdoor patio furniture, then you are advised to use patio furniture covers. And, vinyl is one of the standards and popular materials used to make these furniture covers. However, certain health and environmental issues have been associated with this type of furniture cover material.

Vinyl is also known as PVC - polyvinyl chloride. It is recorded that the major components (vinyl chloride monomers and ethylene dichloride) of this material can cause cancer. Ethylene dichloride is considered a portable cancer-causing agent while vinyl chloride monomers are known as carcinogens. These toxic materials made a lot of areas which use vinyl as a material to close up just to avoid the environmental hazards.

Vinyl can affect your health in many ways than one. It is a non-breathable material that traps moisture on the outdoor furniture. Subsequently, the trapped moisture can easily turn out to be the breeding ground of spores and molds. And, when you accidentally touch this part of the furniture, it can cause skin allergies. In worse cases, it can affect your respiratory system.

Using full vinyl material will actually speed up its destruction instead of protecting your furniture. As stated earlier, moisture can get trapped inside PVC because it can’t breathe and evaporate through the fabric, giving the moisture license to destroy the finish of any furniture. It can make wooden furniture rot while metal ones will eventually develop some rust.

Now you have an insight about the ill effects of PVC, you should check the material of the patio furniture covers that you already have or one that you are about to buy.

FURNITURE POLISHING POISONING

Furniture finishing is an easy way of restoring the beauty of woodwork for your residential or commercial needs. Over time, furniture pieces lose their natural glow and the paint tends to wear off, leaving them looking old and worn out.  With simple painting and polishing, you can simply restore these pieces back to their natural sheen. However, carrying out this procedure in the wrong way can have an effect on your skin.

In the process of painting and polishing, if the furniture polish eventually gets into your eyes, it can cause vision loss or skin irritation. It may also cause severe damage to your lungs if it is inhaled. If you or anyone around you experience such furniture polish contact, 911 should be reached immediately. Furniture polish poisoning occurs when someone accidentally or mistakenly inhales or swallows liquid furniture polish. Some furniture polishes may also be sprayed into one’s eye.

Symptoms

Swallowing such poison may cause:

Confusion

Coma - lack of responsiveness and decreased level of consciousness

Dizziness

Breathing difficulty

Agitation

Low blood pressure that develops rapidly

Severe stomach pain

Severe pain in the mouth, eyes, ears, nose, throat or mouth area

Throat swelling

Blood in your stools

Vomiting, possibly bloody

If the poison touched your eyes or skin, you may suffer from:

Vision loss

Skin burns and irritation

This is why it is crucial to choose an experienced service provider in furniture polishing. Their experience will determine how the company understands the tools used and the safety techniques applied to fetch the best result. A company with years of experience will be in a better position to advise you on what is best for your furniture without having to replace all of them.

DMF - DIMETHYFUMATE

Experts say a chemical added into furniture shipments to prevent the growth of mold has been linked to severe rashes. According to says Joseph F. Fowler Jr., MD, clinical professor of dermatology at the University of Louisville, Kentucky, the chemical, DMF - dimethylfumate, can penetrate the fabric and subsequently clothing when a person sits on the furniture. Dimethyfumate is also used in the shipping of some shoes and clothing. And most people are very allergic to the preservative. When they come into contact with DMF, susceptible individuals develop contact dermatitis, a rash that can occur anywhere on the body. This leaves irritated skin chapped and dry and eventually red, inflamed, and scaly.

You have to be extremely careful in the way you handle furniture. The effect of these chemicals is quite enormous. If you experience any of the aforementioned symptoms, seek help as quick as you can.